Raising feats and affinities

From: gerakkag <jfrusetta_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:25:15 -0000

Apologies if this is well-covered ground, but I can't seem to unearth anything in the archives:

I'm lucky enough to be GMing (in my tortured way) a new HQ campaign. Hurrah! And the players, after three or four sessions, now have enough hero points to splurge. A question has thus now come up:

Two heroes are devotees (of Zorak Zoran). Since these are new players to RPGing, it seemed easiest to give them all starting feats -- so four of them.

One of them wants to raise their magic: but he's confused (and now I am) why anyone would raise a feat and not the affinity.

Our question: what's the relationship between affinity and feats for devotees? If he raises an affinity, do all feats in the affinity raise up to that base level? Does he get a +1 in all _four_ feats for 3 points? And if so, why (except if they lacked enough HP) woudl anyone raise feats rather than affinities?

My mental thought was that raising an affinity raises any feats lower than it. So if you have a 17 in the affinity and a 17, a 21, a 17 and an 18 in the feats, raising the affinity to 18 means you have an 18, 21, 18 and 18. But I'm not sure I understand it correctly.

A second question: it is allowable, I assume, for players to raise feats _higher_ than the affinity? It seems logical to me, but I wasn't sure if the affinity is supposed to represent the "maximum" that individual feats can reach (and that's why there's two costs in the book). But that seems odd.

Many thanks, in advance! I must say, GMing the game is quite helpful in finally getting an "innate" understanding of the rules...

James