RE: Re: Animist Religions

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:44:16 -0600

>From: bethexton_at_...

> >That is, they don't comprise a specialized magic keyword, just
> > abilities that the character gets along with the religion that the
>character
> > can take with their Homeland. Somebody correct that if it's wrong.
>
>I think that is basically right.
>
>My understanding of it is that as part of your culture key word, you
>get the common magic key word. The common magic key word actually
>includes being a lay worshipper, a spiritist, or a congregation
>member, as well as the other common magic abilities (that is, you are
>a spiritist of Waha and know survival tricks, you are a lay member of
>Orlanth and Ernalda as well as knowing Flesh Man's magic, etc).

OK, that's not my understanding. The way I have it, what you get is the overall religion keyword. So, with Heortlings, you tend to get the Storm Pantheon Lay Worshipper keyword, essentially. And Common Magic religions seem to me to just be "excuses" if you will for what the form of the character's Common Magic looks like if he has that Keyword.

>The specialized magic key words are initiate, devotee, practioner,
>shaman, liturgist, orderly, and adept.

That is my understanding, too. Basically a character can have a religion keyword, and one of the Specialized magic keywords listed above, and the common magic keyword if the GM allows them to have it too (specifically says that on P. 18 IIRC) .

>Each of those specialized magic key words subsumes the appropriate
>basic membership level (lay member, spiritist, congregation member)
>as well.

My understanding now is that it doesn't subsume them, they get them both. So a sample character might have:

Heortling
Storm Pantheon
Initiate of Humakt
Common Magic

And the Common Magic could be Flesh man talents, or anything else common magic that he's been exposed to. The Storm Pantheon Keyword in this case means that the character is a Lay Member through implication. Basically having the religion keyword for a specialized religion, but not specialized magic Keyword, makes you that first level in the particular religion.

Is that sounding right?

Mike

Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200364ave/direct/01/