Continuity alert!

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:17:50 -0500

Now I know why I'm so nervous about gaming in Glorantha.

My LM initiate who wants to "understand spirits" is carrying the scrolls he "borrowed" from his dead mentor in a box: it seemed sensible.

Then he thought, it might be a good idea to put a spirit in the box as a guard.

"Cool!" I said, "Let's do that."

So, we all decide that since Heortling's use Alynxes as house pets (and presumably guard animals of some sort), it would be useful to find an old ailing Alynx and put its spirit into the box when it passes on.

Fair enough. So he uses his spells to see the spirit, and then bind the spirit into the box: part of this process involved agreeing to feed the spirit a rabbit every few days, so now our hero has a requirement to keep his box fed. No problem. Great story. The PCs and gaming group all happy.

Even better, I decide that, hey! why can't this alynx-in-a-box be a sort of guardian spirit for the players that have been together with the LM character for a while? So I say that all of them have noticed that they've been getting more "attention" than usual from attractive ladies (thanks to the langorous Alynx in the box).

Now, how many of you old timers do I see hopping up and down on the alert button?

I then am doing some more reading later, and discover (Yinkin's description in Storm Tribe, maybe?) that Alynxes *don't have spirits*. Bah!!

Now what do I do?

I'm a bit unwilling to retcon such a nice evocative bit of character background. So, any suggestions from the council of elders?

(I'm tempted to say, yes, that is an Alynx spirit in the box. Yes, Alynx's don't have spirits. So why did *this* particular Alynx have one? There must be a reason; don't know what it is yet, but it's sure to be something useful...)

I hate running across the dark, yawning bits of canonical Glorantha unawares...

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+