Re: Target numbers and targetting by <otherworldly> sight?

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:48:08 -0600

The HQ games I've run have only had theists, so I've only used Soul Vision. (Substitute Spirit Face/things animist and Symbolic Sight/things wizardry as necessary, with the only difference in basic function being the communication aspect of Spirit Face.) So far, I've used it as a sort of "Detect and Identify Magic and Magical Entities" ability.

I've equated the "magical senses" mentioned under Magical Visibility (p. HQ98) with Soul Vision et.al., so these abilities can discern active magic, magical residue, etc, as well as Otherworld entities (with -20 for unfamiliar Otherworlds). Since Common Magic comes from Otherworld entities native to the Mortal World (p. HQ104), I rule that Common Magic is treated the same as the equivalent Specialized Religion magic for the purposes of these magical senses (e.g., a Common Magic feat is treated as a theist feat for the purposes of magical senses), though I could understand an argument for giving all Common Magic the unfamiliar Otherworld penalty of -20.

I rule that Soul Vision must be used actively and requires some concentration, so no passive detection. If magic is visible anyway (since active magic is detectable to normal senses), then Soul Vision should be able to provide more information.

I also "aspect" Soul Vision in terms of what information it provides, based on the knowledge of the user. For example: 1. An Orlanthi using Soul Vision should be able to determine more details of Orlanthi magic (such as specific Orlanth subcult). 2. An Orlanthi using Soul Vision should be able to tell that specific Storm magic (which may be obvious to anyone as Storm magic because of crackling static electricity, etc.) is from a source outside of the Storm Tribe, such as Doburdun, though he may not know to use the name Doburdun until he has the opportunity to make a positive identification. (This may be easier or more obvious for a follower of Orlanth Thunderous.) 3. An Argar Argan worshipper should be able to likewise discern more about Darkness via the Son of Night affinity.
4. A Humakti may be able to discern more about the Underworld, Darkness, etc.

At 07:25 PM 2/23/2004 +0000, bethexton_at_... wrote:
>What exactly can these detect? For example, it is a black, black,
>night, so that normal senses are useless. Could you:

Lack of vision could hamper normal detection of magic by humans, since active magic is sensed primarily by sight, unless you rule that active magic glows in the dark (maybe it does, not in my games at the moment). Because of this magical senses could be more useful for humans in the dark, while Trolls would benefit from the expanded information.

>a) use spirit face to detect a charm someone was wearing? Yes, no extra
>penalty
>b) use spirit face to detect a practice spirit someone releases from
>a fetish? Yes, no extra penalty
>c) use soul sight to detect comeone using an affinity? Yes, no extra penalty
>d) use soul sight to detect someone using a feat? Yes, no extra penalty
>e) use soul sight to detect a magical item based on theism? Yes, no extra
>penalty
>f) use soul sight to detect a magical item of indeterminate origins
>(or would the narrator have to decide the source of its magic on the
>fly). Yes, penalty determined by Otherworld origin (yes, I think that the
>narrator should figure this out)
>g) having detected one of the above, could you tell the nature of the
>magic? Yes, conditionally, depending on level of success (no, on most
>marginal successes IMGs, aspect may help out)
>h) having detected one of the above, could you use it to target them
>with an arrow? It depends on the antecedent of "them." Yes, conditionally,
>for active magic or an Otherworld entity.
>i) having detected one of the above, if you get into melee combat
>with them, can you "see" well enought to strike and dodge? Again depends
>on the antecedent of "them." Yes, conditionally, for active magic or an
>Otherworld entity.
> For that matter, can you maintain your second sight while focussing on
>something else? I think you can maintain it until something so jars your
>concentration that you can't (dependent on results of contests and
>exchanges). Maybe you can use your magical senses in contests with no
>penalty against Otherworld entities and people who are noticeable because
>of active magic, but have a penalty to notice (and therefore dodge or
>otherwise react to) non-magical attacks from people. (This situation
>hasn't come up in a game, yet.)

The biggest use of magical senses in my games so far has been to detect: 1) Mortal World features (such as rivers, trees, hills, swamps) that contain Otherworld entities (like spirits and daimones); and 2) the nature of the magic used by opponents (e.g., followers of Orlanth easily identify the cattle raiders' magics as being mostly from Finovan; Orolmarn followers even get a +10 bonus since Finovan is an expected foe).

Thanks,
Andy