Re: magical vs. mundane skills

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:13:57 -0800

Christian

>Lets say one of my players has a magic called: "Run like the wind 2W". If he
>uses his magic as an active skill to travel to a far away city he would face
>the magical resistance of 14 instead of the physical distance of
>lets say 15M2,
>right?!

I'll have to disagree with Roderick here. I see no reason that the resistance would be 14. The wind probably does not blow to the far away city (not continuously, winds aren't usually like that). A 14 resistance applies only when you're doing just what the magic says, and travelling to a distant city is not in the description.

>In another episode he meets a messenger, who is very proud of his "Run fast
>2W" skill. The messenger wants to know how good he really is and tries to
>capture our magic-user in a race. That means he pits his skill
>against the players
>skill, suddenly both of them have equal ratings...now what???
>Does the messengers skill change to a 14?

No, because there is magical resistance -- 14 is the background resistance of the universe.

(Personally, I think a house rule ignoring the "sometimes you get 14 resistance" would be quite reasonable -- it's the way Hero Wars handled things, and they worked fine as a game, even if they might not model Glorantha as accurately.)

--

David Dunham