Re: auto-augment to cancel penalty

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:57:31 +0000 (GMT)

> One use of the augment system that occurred to me
> was to have an
> ability whose primary purpose was to be an
> auto-augment countering a penalty.

Seems reasonable, now we can have as many mundane augments as we like.

> For example, Harvar has "sword and shield
> combat." .. he
> learns the "fight without shield" ability.

> .. thief with dagger combat, who has
> "fight against longer weapons."

Sounds entirely reasonable to me. I'd perhaps add "wield weapon in off-hand" to that list of potential skills, so when your sword-arm is injured, you can fight left-handed.

All three of those seem to me to be a good simulation (yes, that word!) of skills that can actually be learnt and used as you describe, if you're waving weapons around for "real". And if you're going to be simulationist enough to have the -5 or whatever for lacking a shield, then having this to counter-act it fits.

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html