Re: Re : Re: My first thoughts on HW

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 09:49:43 -0700

>I have to admit that my scepticism regarding Hero Wars system comes
>mainly from my bitterness. In fact, I played for more than 15 years
>using RQ system, creating my own rules, adding material,...
>And now, I have almost to start from scratch if I want to keep up
>with the Gloranthan fan herd ! I am definitely not happy to throw all
>past work to the bin. That's why I'd like to use it someway.
>I expected some changes in the rules system, but not a brand new one,
>which purposes appears mainly to match the director's vision of the
>game (but, to use a cinema parallel, director's cut version of a
>movie is never a brand new movie !).

Part of the problem is that the Avalon Hill deal screwed up the clear ownership of Runequest - Greg kept Glorantha, AH kept the name Runequest (and were just about to produce a new game called Runequest Slayers (the name was the only part of Runequest that it used) when they were bought out). The rules system ended up in limbo. Greg took the opportunity to produce a different game that more closely fit his vision.

Everyone is in the same boat vis a vis their RQ modifications, but any Glorantha information you've accumulated is still as valid as it was (sure, it might be gregged under Hero Wars, but then it could have been gregged under RQ too...).

RR