Re: Questions

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:07:47 +0000 (GMT)

> > > If the humakti doesn't follow the ritual of the
> > > greeting, he or she doesn't come onto the tula.

> >Unless of course he or she is *seriously* scarey.

> Sure, but this should be the rare exception,
> not a standard occurrence.

Oh, yes. I did mean *seriously* scarey. There may be one or two that scarey in the whole of Sartar. And even they may *decide* to obey the local laws. Humakt in Orlanthi areas goes in for this "honour" thing, not just Death, and beating up the (comparatively) helpless isn't exactly honourable.

> And there's a great story -- the battered
> traveller shows up at
> the clan and asks to enter. When asked why, he says
> "My god has commanded
> me to challenge two of your clansmen to fight to the
> death." One's the clan
> champion, the other an old Issaries trader...
> What did the trader do? He's
> too old and sick to fight the Humakti, ...

You're right, that's a great story!

And one possible reason is that the Issaries trader *is* sick, and this is a Humakti mercy killing in disguise.

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html