Re: FW: negative skills vs. positive ones

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 09:22:09 -0700

> One thing I'm having some trouble with is that there is a functional
> difference between a POSITIVE skill (eg using the skill causes something
> happen) and a NEGATIVE skill (using it causes something NOT to happen).
>
> So when someone attacks and I use "dodge" - what happens when we both
fail?
> I've thought that the simplest solution would be to say the positive skill
> MUST succeed for the result to matter (ie. if he misses, it doesn't matter
> if I dodge) but then I get stuck on fumbles. What if I critically fail my
> dodge?
>
> Same goes for listen/sneak, etc.

The "positive" ability usually has to succeeed in order to affect the opponent, but a Failure-Fumble *will* result in a minor victory (completely blowing the roll means you walked into his backswing/made such a loud noise that he couldn't ignore it even with cotton stuffed in his ears, etc).

See the Simple Contest chart.

RR