Re: Questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 10:20:41 +1300

At 07:49 AM 3/3/04 -0500, you wrote:

> >Scary Humakti could always do what soldiers have done since time
> >immemorial - menace people into feeding them.

> That's true, but if he can't get onto the tula, what is he going
>to do?

If he's scary, who's going to stop him getting on the tula?

> Waylay travellers? I'm not sure there is a Humakt the Brigand
>subcult....

Why should there be? Humakt teaches them all they need to know.

> True, but my point is that, even if it's hard to collect weregild
>from an usheathed Humakti, all that means is that the feud remains open --
>the Humakti doesn't "get away" with it.

He does get away with it if the clan is weak.

> Eventually, assuming the Humakti
>kills enough people, the clans will begin to refuse him/her entrance to the
>tulas

If they can drive him off. And if there is animosity between some of the injured clans, one might be willing enough to "use" the Humakti against others.

> >Like weregild, these laws of hospitality are Orlanthi laws and an
> >unsheathed Humakti is not obliged to follow them.

> As a stranger, the unsheathed Humakti can't expect any more
>hospitality than a Lunar soldier, and that's what the clans will provide --
>a knife in the dark as soon as it's possible/convenient.

Which means the clan is buggered if the Humakti has Makla Mann's Sense Ambush skill. Moreover hundreds of lunar soldiers do similar things but survive because the clans are too frightened.

--Peter Metcalfe