Re: Questions

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 01:52:01 +0000 (GMT)

> > > And there's a great story -- the battered
> > > traveller shows up at
> > > the clan and asks to enter. When asked why, he
> says
> > > "My god has commanded
> > > me to challenge two of your clansmen to fight to
> the
> > > death." One's the clan
> > > champion, the other an old Issaries trader...
> > > What did the trader do? He's
> > > too old and sick to fight the Humakti, ...

> >And one possible reason is that the Issaries trader
> >*is* sick, and this is a Humakti mercy killing in
> >disguise.
>
> Heh. That's very clever, especially if the
> players are led to
> believe that the merchant did something sinister all
> those years ago....
> (Or the merchant isn't sick, but Humakt wants the
> trader to die with a
> sword in his hand for some unknown goddish reason.)

What he did all those years ago was have a brother. Maybe even a twin brother? They had arguments with each other over their respective chosen careers, and t'other brother left. Thoroughly. Now he's back. And his ex-twin *will* die an "honourable" death, no matter how misguided he's been all hs life....

The real question is, why the clan champion? What's *he* done? That's much less likely to be a walk-over.

In fact.... ah, *both* brothers are fatally ill. Twins do this... And the Humakti is looking for a replacement for some task or other he's taken on. I have no idea why this champion was picked (possibly nor does he). But the whole plan is that Wandering Humakti kills his ex-brother, is himself killed by the clan champion, and hands him his sword and the Task. Whatever that is. Possibly guarding the clan from some danger that they never even knew existed? That said W.H. has been guarding them from (didn't resheath? no, but that just means he doesn't *have* to protect his clan, it doesn't forbid him from doing so anyway).

Thanks for that seed. It's got all the makings of a great tragic story. Whether it would work as the start of a scenario, I'm not sure.

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html