Two-weapons thought

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 20:12:23 -0000

(carried over to this list from the HQ-RPG list)

It seems to me rather unlikely that anyone trained in two weapon use would be unable to fight effectively with only one weapon. At the very least you must have been trained on what to do when you lose one of them. So one way to look at a two weapone technique is as an enhancement to a one weapon technique. (I'm sure the experienced fighters out there can explain why this wouldn't be truly accurate, but it sounds reasonable.....)

In that case you could simply have
Scmitar combat 5W
two-scimitar tecnique 17

and when using both scimitars it augments the base skill, (which for "normal" characters would be right about the difference between a +3 and +5 from equipment).

The reasons I like this fix are:
a) As one of the experts in the discussion said, when you first give someone a second weapon, they don't know what to do with it, and mostly don't do much with it. Like having a starting skill of 13, giving only a +1 augment.
b) It lets real experts at the two weapon technique become dramatically good with it. Not many heroes will put that many HP in it, but when you win 10W2 in it on a heroquest it becomes a rather nice augment.
c) You can try for a variable augment with it, reflecting the perhaps riskier moves you could use this sort of tecnique for. d) Most importantly, it uses an existing rule, without any need for fudging, interpolating, or whatever.

--Bryan