Re: When is a Hero ready (was: mechanics of myth)?

From: bankuei <Bankuei_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 09:01:30 -0000

Hi guys,

I think the key issue is nailing down what sort of things you want happening in your game, how long you are going to be playing, and how fast you want growth to happen.

Aside from simply starting out at a higher rating, you can also up the rate at which folks are granted Hero Points. To prevent folks from "crusing through" by spending all of them on bumps, say, hand out 10 points between sessions that can not be spent on bumps. This allows players to grab relationships left and right, and up heaps of abilities at one go. The best part is that players can establish relationships with bigwigs(kings, gods, etc.) and basically become major players despite having lower ratings(Frodo would be a perfect example).

Another option, is to do the classic, "Boon of massive power" by gods, spirits, whathaveyou, wherein the heroes are elevated from their so-so abilities to superherolike statures instantly. There can even be tests in order to earn the boon.

Personally, I'm starting my game at base levels, but I run pretty loose with the Hero Points. I give at least 3 before sessions, and between 3-5 after each session. Usually folks only burn one or two of these for bumps, so growth is pretty quick.

Chris