Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:01:06 -0000

> "p98: {Natural Resistance} [...] A hero who uses a magical _Jump
up
> Cliff_ ability to leap to the top of a battlement takes a penalty
for
> improvising the magic's use _and_ takes a *mundane* resistance based
> on the height of the wall."

Ok, but that's when the use of the magic is inapropriate.

> "p99: {Personal Resistance} Beings resist enemy magic with their
best
> *relevant* ability or keyword[!?], *whether mundane of magical*."
>
> Thus the test is _not_ simply one of whether the resistance is
> magical, but whether it's 'passive' and 'appropriate'.

Hmm.. it has been a while since I read that bit. My memory is being coloured by an in-built bias of mine. I believe that, all other things being equal, the best counter to a magical attack should be a magical defence, and the best counter to a mundane attack should be a mundane defence.

There is nothing to suggest this in the rules, it's just my instinctive feeling on the subject.

Simon Hibbs