RE: Re: Questions (re archery)

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 22:26:20 -0000

On Tuesday, March 09, 2004 1:30 PM, Rob wrote:

> FWIW I know what you mean re Archery. I ran a game last night using
> Archery on the simple contest mechanic. The archer was shooting at
> people at night and he has a shooting in the dark ability. Also he
> was shooting at people that he was superior to. I am not looking
> forward to the extended contest, especially if the opponent cant get
> to him. We shall have to wait and see.

Well, if the opponent simply *can't* get to him, the nature of the contest changes from "get at the archer" to "escape before the archer turns me into a pin cushion".

It's rather like the "problem" of the experienced hero who gets lots of transfers against inferior opponents. If he really is so superior that the result is a foregone conclusion like this, then it's not worth even rolling the dice. It has become "something no self-respecting should fail at" (see HQ p?).

> Whats people take on sureshot? Is it an augment or is it vs the
> default magic of 14? And if the arrow hits what is the contest
> result? Last night I said the feat augmented the archery skill.

If it's being used as an active abilitiy, rather than as, say, an initiate using his affinities to augment, then feel free to treat it just as you would any other magic. In games I've run, I've seen the same player using the same feat in both modes (augment and direct use) as the whim/necessity moved them.

Regards,

Bruce