RE: Re: Animists and common magic

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:32:54 -0600

>From: bethexton_at_...

>Even in the case of non-
>active use you might buy it up somewhat if it seemed like a good
>magical defense ("stop wind" if you are expecting to fight a lot of
>storm folk),

So, are you saying that you'd allow them to be used actively as a resistance? Doesn't that void the "augment only" rule? Or are you saying that the charm would make a mundane resistance augmented by it magical, and therefore suitable instead of the default 14?

>or an augment that you might use widely (say "talk to
>ancestor" for a puma person, who's practice spirits are all
>ancestors).

Yeah, the problem here is the min-max factor. To get a 17 ability from +2 to +3 as an augment only, that means that you have to spend at least 8 HP. So it had better be so broad as you see it more often useful than raising up 8 other active abilities by one, or any other combination of expenditures of that 8 points. Given that it would take 8 sessions, too, the "opportunity costs" lost are huge.

The only way I see these being increased are by the GM directing growth there. Which has some possibilities. I'm just thinking that it would be nice for raising these to be a valid option somehow.

Mike