Re: Animists and common magic

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:23:10 -0000

Ummmm, I think a person almost _never_ defends with a default 14.

To quote liberally from the rules:

(page 98) Natural Resistance:
"Magic abilities have an advantage over similar mundane abilities. When your hero uses magic appropriately against a PASSIVE resistance, he faces the default 14 resistance....This is the resistance to cast magic upon one's self, and the passive resistance of the Mortal World to magical change."

(page 99) Personal Resistance:
"Beings resist enemy magic with their best RELEVANT ability or keyword, whether mundane or magical. ....... If you don't think your hero has an appropriate magical defense, be creative and try to come up with a way your hero can use an ability to resist the magic."

So it may happen that you have no close to appropriate ability to defend with, so take big improv penalties which would drop you below 14, in which case it is best just to go with the 14.

So yes, I would allow an "augment only" magical ability to be used as a defense. On the one hand, I don't think defense is really an 'active' use, and on the other I think it makes magic more interesting. Both hands suggest allowing them to be used!

-Bryan