RE: Re: Animists and common magic

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:43:42 -0600

>From: Antonio �lvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_...>
>
>From HQ Errata:
>
>"As the example on page 99 shows, a common magic ability can be used
>to resist magic if it is appropriate, since resisting in a contest
>is not an active use of an ability. Using an ability actively means
>taking an action in a contest with it -- attacking a foe, casting a
>spell, or otherwise using an ability against a resistance."

Whoops. Missed this. It does seem that this has been clarified.

This does lead to a somewhat philosophical problem. I've always had a problem with the term Resistance, and the implication of attack and defense. The HQ resolution system says that two abilities of two acting parties are pitted against each other in a contest, with each party having it's own goal. So, you're trying to kill me, while I try to convince you with persuasion that you should stop. Sounds like the latter is the resistance, but what if the situation were that you were just talking about killing me, and I said that I was going to try to persuade you not to, and then you decided to use your sword to shut me up. Then which is the resistance.

The way I've always seen it, there's no attack-resist, just the clash of two abilites.

So, if I have a Speak Eloquently charm, and am using that in the above situations, when is it usable, and when not? When is it "passively" resisting? I'd argue never - it requires me to Speak Eloquently, which seems pretty active. Or, rather, I think that this judgement call opens up these abilities to be used in sorta the same way as I've mentioned in the last post - basically you think of them as augments first, but allow them as active when it seems appropriate.

Mike

Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee when you click here. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963