Re: Animists and common magic

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:39:51 -0000

> This does lead to a somewhat philosophical problem. I've always had
> problem with the term Resistance, and the implication of attack and
defense.
> The HQ resolution system says that two abilities of two acting
parties are
> pitted against each other in a contest, with each party having it's
own
> goal. So, you're trying to kill me, while I try to convince you
with
> persuasion that you should stop. Sounds like the latter is the
resistance,
> but what if the situation were that you were just talking about
killing me,
> and I said that I was going to try to persuade you not to, and then
you
> decided to use your sword to shut me up. Then which is the
resistance.

> The way I've always seen it, there's no attack-resist, just the
clash of two
> abilites.

Well, usually there is up to four abilities. 'A' is using ability 'b' to try and achieve his goal. 'Z' uses ability 'y' to resist ability 'b' and in turn uses ability 'x' to try and achieve her goal, which in turn A resists with ability 'c'. So on A's action, it is b versus y, on Z's action it is x versus c.

> So, if I have a Speak Eloquently charm, and am using that in the
above
> situations, when is it usable, and when not? When is it "passively"
> resisting?

You can't use it on your action to try and achieve your objective. However, if it is a suitable defense against your opponents chosen ability on their action, you could use it. For example, your opponent is trying to use her 'confuse opponent' spell against you in a debate, to make you just spout nonsense. You could use your 'speak eloquently' charm as a defense, with that charm it is not easy to confuse you when it comes to words.

However, on your action, you could not respond using 'speak eloquently' form the charm, you'd have to use some other ability (although you may be able to augment with the charm)

And note that such passive magics are only defenses against magical attacks, you can't use the charm in the same way against a mundane 'confuse with facts' ability.

--Bryan