Re: two abilities clash

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:18:24 -0800

Mike

>The way I've always seen it, there's no attack-resist, just the clash of two
>abilites.

Perhaps, but it's easier to call it attack and resistance because it's often more than two.

For example, you are chasing me in an extended contest. I use my Running to resist. But when it's my turn, I won't use Running (because I'm out of shape) but my Bargaining, to offer you a better deal. You can't resist this with Pursuit.

Then of course, because the narration makes you momentarily stop and think about the deal, I switch and use Hide as my resistance next round. Things can constantly shift.

(And yes, I know you can in theory use any ability vs any other.)

As for using common magic (unconcentrated) in a simple contest, I think a defender (as determined by the story) could indeed use it directly. You can use an affinity to resist magic, can't you?

--

David Dunham