Re: only one instance of a heroquest per person

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 03:12:21 +0000

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 02:25:08AM +0100, Moah, platypus powaaa! wrote:
> There's a rule in HQ that says one person can make the same heroquest
> only once. I'm a bit surprised since i believe it contradicts histori-
> cal evidence (didn't the guy who got Arkat from a heroquest did the
> lightbringer a second time later on?)

Indeed. The list is short enough that Harmast appearing on it twice is hard to miss... (Argarth is a somewhat different case, allegedly.)

> and it makes it harder to use some staple heroquest (the one that
> calls the enemy to wherever you are, for example).

One question is, how HQy a HQ do you have to be doing for the rule to apply? e.g., does "it was just a big ritual"/"practice HQ" get you off the hook? (I'd think so.) And another, even if it's a "rule", how hard are "exceptions" to come by?

I imagine that the "simulationist" motivation for the rule is that in a HQ, one makes 'mythically committed choices' about what to do at each stage. The trick of doing a quest more than once would be avoiding contradicting oneself on the one hand (character sheet vanishes in a puff of logic), and being totally redundant with the previous quest (no extra bennies for you, young man). But that wouldn't amount to a total impossibility. And but, but, it's purely my guess on the topic.