Re: Gaining Hero Points

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:33:14 +0000

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 02:17:37PM +0000, Jane Williams wrote:
> Depends on how long your "sessions" are, doesn't it? A
> couple of hours in an evening? A full weekend blast?
> Continual PBeM?
>
> We all know where a scenario starts and ends, though.
> Usually.

I dunno, I rather find the reverse. A session ends when there are no gamers left in the house absorbing tea and biscuits and I'm checking to see if I succeeded in taping "24". A the 'end' of a 'scenario' though, that truly is an illusive concept...

To be semi-serious, I tend to go with a pretty much flat-rate 4 per session (3-4 hours, typically), plus the 1 per start-of-next-session. (Everyone one spends their points at the start of a session anyway, so the distinction is just one of opportunity to spend 'em (and indeed, expectation of doing so -- I 'discourage' "storing" of the others, as I found this was occasionally getting silly with some players in my previous game).) I used to also say, "and directed increases to be discussed", since I dislike actively monkeying around with people's sheets absent their input -- well, apart from post-HQs, of course... What I do now is effectively delegate that though, with a semi-formal system of mapping 'ticks' and HPs into skill increases. But I digress...

What I likely should have done is given a few extra per game-year, since the cunning plan was to play in "Pendragon Time". I say should, past tense, as we're mow moving into more "normal RPG" time.