Re: only one instance of a heroquest per person

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:44:32 -0800 (PST)

Isn't the rule that you can make a given HeroQuest only once, as a particular major participant, at any level of commitment beyond mundane practice? Thus, you can be one of the faceless hordes as many times as you want, but you can take a given featured role only once?

Thus, I always assumed that Harmast was Orlanth once, and someone else (Flesh Man, or perhaps The Knowing God, since he was now THE expert) when they retrieved Talor The Laughing Warror.

I assume that this is why the Chalana Arroy Secret can be cast more than once in a priestess's life, as the priestess is not CA Herself, in all Her Glory, but either just a part of, or just a supporter to, the Goddess Herself.

Also, it may be possible to take different roles in different stations of major quests like the LightBringers Quest. Since it involves 14 different Quests, and 7 major players, it allows an awful lot of roles even for the unaging heroquester.

> For example, on the whitewall list they're toying with the idea of
> having Broyan use the "call your enemy" hq, but he uses it in OiD.
> (Of course, in this case, it's the perfect opportunity to have the
> character perform said HQ instead).

IMO, it is a ritual, not a heroquest by itself. It is done in the World that one is in, and usually doesn't breach the walls to a higher level, and even then the breach is so that a higher level being comes to you, not you to it.

Also, having Broyan use it MAY mean the he organizes it, and lets disciples or devoted priests do the supernatural part, while he commands the mundane ambushers.

> So am I wrong or am I wrong? Anyone is using that rule exactly as-is
> or have you guys made adjustments?

It might also be that there is an escape clause or mechanism for the yearly quests when done as part of the Sacred Time, else every Hero would end up making Full GodPlane LightBringer Quests, due to role exhaustion.

Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam http://mail.yahoo.com