Re: Re: magical vs.mundane resistance

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 04:56:09 +0000

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 02:01:06PM -0000, simon_hibbs2 wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > "p98: {Natural Resistance} [...] A hero who uses a magical _Jump
> up
> > Cliff_ ability to leap to the top of a battlement takes a penalty
> for
> > improvising the magic's use _and_ takes a *mundane* resistance based
> > on the height of the wall."
>
> Ok, but that's when the use of the magic is inapropriate.

Well, when it's inappropriate-to-a-degree, which is a common enough circumstance I think. (The context is, an example that's "appropriater" and a couple that are "progressively inappropriater".)

> Hmm.. it has been a while since I read that bit. My memory is
> being coloured by an in-built bias of mine. I believe that, all
> other things being equal, the best counter to a magical attack
> should be a magical defence, and the best counter to a mundane
> attack should be a mundane defence.
>
> There is nothing to suggest this in the rules, it's just my
> instinctive feeling on the subject.

I think I have a similar bias myself, and I'm not entirely sure to what degree that's, ahem, innate (duck!), and to what degree it's been absorbed from previous versions of the rules, discussion on the list, rounds of clarification (and dis- <g>) from Issaries, etc.

In rules terms though, that's all subsumed by 'appropriateness'. What's appropriate? Whatever story need, Gloranthan Consciousness Immersiveness, and not getting yourself lynched by a qualified majority of disgrunted players dictate, is about what it comes down to.

Cheers,
Alex.