Re: only one instance of a heroquest per person

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:06:47 +0000

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 09:21:35AM -0000, Bruce Ferrie wrote:
> On Monday, March 15, 2004 2:18 AM, Alex Ferguson wrote:
> >
> > > Thus, I always assumed that Harmast was Orlanth once, and someone else
> > > (Flesh Man, or perhaps The Knowing God, since he was now THE expert)
> > > when they retrieved Talor The Laughing Warror.
> >
> > If that's the case, then he has _great_ publicity. ;-) It's certainly
> > not the implication I took from this: like I said, he appears twice on
> > a list that starts off "Orlanth" and ends with "Argrath", no asterisks
> > or nuthin'... It is a possible save if you want to have the rule be
> > strictly applicable, I'll grant you.
>
> I thought he meant that Harmast played the role of Orlanth in the
> quest, rather than that he actually *was* Orlanth at some point.

There's a distinction? That's what I meant too, at any rate.

> So what he's saying is that, by playing two different mythic roles in
> the quest, he's not really doing the "same" quest more than once. The
> first time is "Orlanth Goes On the Lightbringer's Quest", the second
> is "Lhankor Knowing Goes West With Orlanth" or something. Lunar-level
> nitpicking, but it might just work.

I'm sure it's definitely a way around the 'rule' yes. As I said to David though, it's most definitely not what I interpret Harmast having done, and it must be a tremendously difficult thing to do. (On a scale where winning a Nobel Prize and becoming the king of a large barbarian kingdom through your own force of arms would rate as 'mildly exerting'. Doing them _both_, that is.)

Cheers,
Alex.