Re: Subcults

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:26:20 +0000

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 09:34:07PM -0800, Chris Lemens wrote:
> Question 1. Does the second sentence above mean that
> an initiate of a deity can learn and use a feat of a
> subcult "as a stand-alone magical ability" without
> first learning the affinity of the subcult?

I suspect the intent here is, you learn the affinity if it's an affinity that's offered, and the feat if a feat is offered.

> Question 2. If the answer to Question 1 is no, does
> the third sentence intend to give narrators discretion
> to allow it anyway?

Yes. (That is, to 'cherry-pick' a feat in those cases where an affinity exists.)

> Question 3. Within the context of the Heortling
> religion, is Destor (for example) a subcult of Orlanth
> within the meaning of page 120, such that a Desemborth
> initiate coud learn Destor's Wind affinity or Call
> Clouds feat?

Yes. Of course, it might be a case of watch this space for TR2, but that seems to be expressly the intent.

An interesting question arises of course, if you can learn one feat instead of an affinity for a different subcult, ought you to be allowed that option for your own? Can of worms warning...

A literalistic reading of these rules seems to imply you can learn as much magic as you like with no time (etc) requirements, but I'm a bit leery on that. But that's not exactly a huge worry, as diffuse magic tends to be its own reward (i.e., low ratings).

Cheers,
Alex.