Week 3 rule questions...

From: Steve Rennell <steve_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:42:17 +1300

Hi All,

My game is running pretty well on the whole, and the players got into their first actual fight. Of course, that brought up all sorts of rule questions...

There's a vingan devotee trying to use her "run on treetops" feat to move quickly over the forest in such a way that she can get behind the broo that are chasing the parties hunter. I was making her roll for the feat every time she wanted to start again (i.e. she ran to one spot (1 roll) threw a javelin at a broo, and ran to another spot (1 more roll) and threw another javelin. The Player pointed out that unless she was significantly better than she is, she was going to fail reasonably often even against a resistance of 14 (and fall and be broken) and was this what the rules intended as it made the feat much less useful.

I'm not sure - any opinions? Should I roll for the "activation" of the feat, and then let her run on treetops until she gets back to ground, or should I make her roll every time she stops and starts?

Incidentally, the hunter (running for his life from 4 broo) discovered he didn't have a run skill, and was rolling against 6 (+2 for his movement affinity). Life was looking very bad... (until he ran past the humakti who sliced and diced)

He asked whether it was possible to use his movement affinity as his base rather than his non-existant running skill. I wasn't sure. I think he can "improvise" a feat that devotee's of Orlanth the hunter have, but not just use the affinity as an ability. Am I right? Was I being unreasonable? (suffice to say, he spent a hero-point on a Running skill afterwards...)

Answers gratefully received...

Stephen

--
Stephen Rennell                steve_at_...
Wellington,   New Zealand