Re: Week 3 rule questions...

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:54:32 -0800

Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...> wrote:
> Steve Rennell <steve_at_...> wrote:
>>

>> There's a vingan devotee trying to use her "run on treetops" feat to
>> move quickly over the forest in such a way that she can get behind
>> the broo that are chasing the parties hunter. ...
>> The Player pointed out that
>> unless she was significantly better than she is, she was going to
>> fail reasonably often even against a resistance of 14 (and fall and
>> be broken) ...

Addendum: I think it's perfectly reasonable to make her roll for each part of the sprint. After all, Vinga is *movement*. She can stay on top of the trees because she's *running*. If the player stops running, pulls out a javelin, aims, and throws, the moment's broken--she needs to start running all over again. (Unless she had a "throw javelins while running" ability--in that case she could throw while running on trees, just like she could throw while running on the ground, though presumably her aim would be worse than if she were standing still.)

In fact, I'd argue that a "run on treetops" feat does *not* necessarily include the "stand on a treetop whilst throwing javelins" ability. Again, Vinga can stay on top of the treetops because she's *running*. I'd say that the player can run to the tree just fine, but once there, she needs to hold on to a branch, balance herself, and throw a javelin--her "throw a javelin while holding onto a tree" ability is no better than any other player's.

F'r'ex, if a player had a "run across lakes" feat, we would *not* assume that it included the ability to *stand* on lakes. If a player said "I run halfway across the lake, then I stop and look down", I think the narrator would probably respond, "Okay, but when you stop running, you'll fall into the water."