Re: Re: Skill Levels at Character Generation

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:21:47 -0600

At 05:06 PM 3/18/2004 +0000, Juha Ratilainen wrote:
>The clan generator in Orlanth is dead! suggests this also: "if you
>gain more than one similar ability, relationship or attitude, take the
>higher value, adding +4 for each duplication"
>This is for the special abilities gained from the questionnaire though.

More generally, the Imperial Lunar Handbook also states Additional Native Abilities receive a +4 if already possessed. This seems at odds with HQ p. 19, but the ILH was published first (though this is not yet errata IIRC--can't get to that part of the web site right now). I use the same method Andrew Graham (IIRC) mentioned: after all abilities from keywords are listed, I have the players cross off the second and subsequent instances of abilities, and permanently augment the first instance (each 17 rating becomes a +2; for example a hunter following Odayla would start with Archery 19, but one following Yinkin wouldn't). This is a house rule and I announce it as such.

At 04:45 PM 3/18/2004 +0000, DaveCamo_at_... wrote:
>The reason abilities appear multiple times is to make sure that someone
>who should have the ability has it. I don't remember the original example
>that started the thread but to use keywords from TR, 'Warriors' have
>'Spear & Shield' and 'Male Heortlings' have 'Spear & Shield'. A male
>Heortling becoming a warrior already has the ability so doesn't need it in
>the 'Warrior' keyword but it's there for when a female Heortling becomes a
>warrior.

While I appreciate the reasoning here, I like the +2 difference (from the house rule) between male and female Heortling warriors (one has been practicing a lot longer presumably). If someone considers this sexist, add "and was raised as a boy by her family" (or something similar) to the character description, or whatever other justification you want to achieve the end you desire.

Thanks,
Andy