Re: Exploiting sidekicks

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:18:42 -0000

I thought side kicks had only one key word? And that abilities within that key word had to be bought up normally (that is, one by one)?

> >From: "Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_h...>
> >
> >I'd say yes. But then he would have to have paid 9 points to get
> >the keyword up to 20.
>
> Hmmm. Now I'm wondering about how it works. I had assumed that,
just as you
> can't raise your hero's keywords with points that you can't raise a
> sidekick's.

What I thought too.

> I had assumed that you couldn't raise the abilities under the
keywords at
> all as it didn't seem that they were to be listed. OTOH, it does
seem that
> you can develop such characters "normall" after chargen, so I'm not
sure.

I think retainers just have the keyword, sub-abilities not broken out (they are all at the keyword level), but I think that a side kick can get the individual abilities broken out from the key word.

> One thing that I would have appreciated would have been if they'd
clarified
> whether points of this nature work exactly like HP in terms of
costs. I
> assume, for instance that from your original 20 points spent on
abilities
> that raising an affinity for a concentrated theist would cost 3,
and not
> just one. It may say this at some point, but then calling them Hero
Points
> (or something else, and saying that HP can be used as these other
points)
> would have clarified things.

In the FAQ it clarified that they work as you thought (I'd thought, until reading the FAQ, that even affinities went up at a 1 per 1). The one big exemption at hero creation is you are exempt from the "in game" and "multiple points at a time" factors. So all increases are essentially treated as in game, bought one point at a time, with no extra multiples there.

--Bryan