Re: Buying & increasing keywords

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:24:54 -0800

> I'm less than clear what motivates this though. Is there some practical
> issue, or is a matter of the aesthetics of 'first class keywords', as we
> prog. lang. types might say?

The motive would be for Sidekicks, I think, rather than Player Heroes - a Player hero doesn't really need "Keyword 20". (yes, I can think of several minor reasons to do so, most of which come down to min-maxing or other sorts of sleight-of-character).

A sidekick, on the other hand, only has three abilities besides his keyword, and if you intend those three abilities to be different than what's contained in his keyword, then he'll never be a better Warrior or Healer or "Devotee of XX", he'll just have a higher "Strong" or "Run Fast" or "Magical Doohickey". A sidekick *should* be growing along with his Hero. However, there should not be a rule to use HP to "buy up" keywords. Let the Sidekick get "keyword" bumps along with the Hero during Advanced Experience. The question each group then needs to ask is: "Does he get his own keyword raises, or does the player have to split them between his main hero and his sidekick?"

I'm of the opinion that a player should have to decide if he's going to raise his main hero or his sidekick. The reason I think this is that the sidekick really *isn't* his own character; ultimately he is a loose collection of abilities housed in a seperate body. While he can be killed independently of the Hero, he can occasionally be used independently of the main hero - "My Sidekick will watch the prisoners". The abilities are normally available to the Hero without too much effort - he'll not normally be unavailable (like an ally can be), though you might still need to roll on the "Follower's reaction table" if you ask him to to something nasty.

RR
- Richelieu