Re: Buying & increasing (follower abilities and) keywords

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:20:44 +0100

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:50:35PM -0800, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> No I'm not. Adv. Exp. is better for "Long downtime" than a "End of year
> bonus" in my eyes.

Fairy snuff.

> > I rather feel we've gone from one extreme in HW (follower feeding
> > frenzy) to the other in HQ (it's as expensive to increase a follower
> > ability as one of your own, and less useful). I feel there must be an
> > Obvious Compromise here. Or at least, a feasible one. Perhaps
> > something like 1HP to increase a follower keyword, or two ability by
> > one/one by two? (Subject to sanity constraints relating them to level
> > of the 'base' character.)

> The problem is in regulating the keyword advances for the sidekick: "Why
> should I bother to put any HP into my own hero's magic? I'll just buy up Joe
> Sidekick's Devotee of Humakt keyword". Pretty soon you have the sidekick
> that outshines the hero! I'm sure we can all agree that this is probably
> *not* what we want.

See my comment about sanity constraints! For example, one might use the skill levels one got in HW (_for free_) as the maximum one could raise 'em too. (Whatever those were, I only have HQ to hand, not HW.) Or some such variation. Clearly the follower should _never_ outshine the main hero -- otherwise you out to be playing her, not the 'base' char.

> it is a complicated area, and easily subject to abuse no matter what you do.
> In such cases, I prefer to say "this is a guideline, but work out what works
> best for you" than "this is a rule". Otherwise, you end up writing a
> convoluted, "airtight" rules (ie, full of holes that players gloam on to and
> use to their full advantage even when it makes no damn sense) (I should
> know, I've done enough of it).

I don't doubt it. :)

Perhaps an issue here is, to what degree is the follower a 'wholly owned subsidiary' of the PC, and to what degree does she remain an NPC? After all, one may have a Relationship with as powerful a character as one likes -- it's kinda its own punishment. And their abilities may well rise, the player just won't ordinarily be the prime mover in doing this. Possible mechanism this suggests would be 'suggesting' when the followers abilities ought to rise, and directed HP awards.

> So, I AM SUGGESTING GUIDELINES, NOT RULES!!!!!!!

Speak up, there. :)

Cheers,
Alex.