Re: rune metal enchantment question

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 17:51:31 -0800

Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...> wrote:

> Enchanting a metal makes it useful Frex, a gold spearhead is normally
> too
> soft to be useful for anything but looking pretty - an *enchanted*
> gold spearhead is as hard as bronze, plus the other benefits fo
> enchanting gold.

So, in essence, there's a single magical effect--"make this rune-metal strong enough to be useful"--which we call "enchanting", for shorthand. Is that what you're saying?

If a hero has the "enchant silver" feat, he can put this "make silver strong as bronze" effect on a silver helmet. Any success at all makes the helmet as strong as an equivalent bronze helmet. In addition, the helmet gives an augment, in relevant situations, of (enchantment level / 20).

The "enchant silver" feat doesn't put any more specific spells/effects/imbues on the helmet--the only thing it does is put that "strengthen the metal" effect on it.

(Though, presumably, if the hero has some other crafting magic--say, a "cat's-eye helmet" crafting ritual--he could use his "enchant silver" feat to augment it, if the helmet's silver.)

Am I more or less getting this?

--AMS