Re: Buying & increasing (follower abilities and) keywords

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:34:34 -0800

Mke

> > p179 in the "Sagas" box.
>
>Yeah, that little box has informed a lot of my plans for how to handle this
>sort of thing

My current plan is to do something like:

For each season, you have 5 HP worth of improvements. At least 1 must be spent in an ability gained from an occupational keyword, and 1 must be spent in ability gained from a magical keyword. (If necessary, you can save up magical increases, since an affinity, scripture, or gimoire still costs the usual 6 to increase if you're not concentrated.) Adding +2 to an ability costs x3 as usual.

This is faster advancement in specialized skills (+5 per year instead of +2), but not as broad as the Sagas rule (would raising your Devotee of Humakt [Kargan the Warrior] keyword raise each affinity as well as a large number of fighting skills?).

I decided to go with this approach because there may well be seasons, but not years, between adventures. The reason for spending within a keyword is that that's the sort of thing you've been doing in your off time -- if you're a warrior, at least one of your warrior abilities ought to get better; if you're an initiate, one of the skills loosely associated with your deity should improve.

I'd let you spend the free 3 points on a follower instead of yourself.

--

David Dunham