Re: Keywords: What Are They?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:38:47 -0700

Mike

> >For each season, you have 5 HP worth of improvements.
>
>So no keyword advancement? It seems from David's post that he sees keywords
>as just the abilites that are listed under the keyword.

Correct. Most player heroes aren't just Heortling Warrior, they have increased Proud and Sword & Shield Fighting and are thus distinguished from run of the mill warriors.

>That if you just increase the abilities inside the keyword that it's
>comparative to raising
>the keyword as a whole.

If you increase all of its abilities -- but I doubt anyone ever would. Many of the abilities aren't of direct interest to the player.

>So why do we rate keywords? Just for shorthand so we don't have to
>list the level of anything that's not been raised?

Correct. (And for NPCs.)

On many of my character sheets, I don't even have keywords -- it's easier to find a needed skill by some other organizational technique (such as alphabetical or grouped into physical/social/magic or whatever).

>I've also never seen a player ask for a new ability at 17 based off a keyword.

Me neither.

>The Saga system seemed to me to show a way to easily bump up the character
>in a way that means that they've become more experienced not just in
>specifics, but in those "little ways" that a default would indicate best.

True, but I think it pretty much requires yearly increase (increasing a keyword every season seems too fast). I like the rules on p179 but they aren't quite suitable for the game I expect to run

--

David Dunham