Re: Healing with common magic

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:18:21 -0700

Alex replies to me

> > wouldn't any player decide that their common magic is all feats if
>> they intend to become a devotee some day, and all charms if they're
>> an animist?)
>
>But it's not necessarily a free-for-all magical buffet: say you're a
>Heortling devotee-wannabe, your most ready source of common magic is all
>(or is that "all"?) talents.

Perhaps, but even for Heortlings it is in fact a magical buffet: "some variation(whether as talent, feat, charm, or spell is found ... almost everywhere ... Your hero might know any of these, or others that you create." So I'd create common magic feats if I intended on being an initiate, even as a Heortling.

>Actually, if you become a _devotee_ you'll have to give up your CM feats
>anyway, so strike through throughout and read as "concentrated theist".

Not necessarily, since your deity might provide common magic! (The Seven Mothers come to mind.) This is stretching things a bit, and it's quite possible that their common magic is already provided as a feat within an affinity.

--

David Dunham