Re: Running a gang

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:12:12 -0700

Mike

>You wanted a higher TN for the heroes to roll against, do I have that right?

Right, because I knew they were going to be up against combat augmented into the W4 range.

>But you ended up using their "run away 14" as the base? Surely there's
>something else that you could have used? I mean, with numbers on their side,
>couldn't they have turned to fight? Weren't there any warriors in the group
>at all?

No. They were craftsmen. Build Stone Fortification 10W wasn't going to be much use.

>Or were there no warriors in the camp? I mean, if this was just a slaughter
>of innocents, a group of experienced warriors mowing down a group of
>non-combatants,

I didn't think it was an automatic success -- the non-combatants could scatter and run away, and only some of them would be killed.

>just because there's somebody to kill in front of you, that
>they might not represent the appropriately dramatic challenge. That's not to
>say that the PCs can't accomplish a goal related to it, just that there
>might be some other related source of conflict that's more interesting.

I do sometimes mutate player goals, but their goal was explicitly to kill all of them. (And there were reasons why doing so made sense for them.)

I think maybe I should have just said "forget about augmentation, just give me your combat rating (and I'll make up a resistance) and we'll see how many get away -- you can automatically kill any you catch."

--

David Dunham