Re: Special items vs skills

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 17:53:25 -0700

Jim

> >>Just converting from RQ to HQ
> >
> >I hope this isn't for PCs -- you're not going to get a good match.
> >

>Thanks for the thoughts David and Nic. I'd be interested in following
>the above comment up as we are in the process of converting PCs from RQ3
>to HQ. I was trying to avoid any kind of conversion system; rather I
>have had them develop characters as per the list method based on their
>current character. I then intend to spend ages arguing over additional
>abilities they want to give themselves (such as the equivalent of scan
>at 90%). I'm guessing this has been discussed before and if I can get
>past setting up an account with yahoo I can search them.

I think you're going to get very different results -- the character won't feel the same, and players are likely to be disappointed. (Even if the HQ character is "better.")

When I tried this, I had the players recreate their characters 5 years later (using the narrative system, which I prefer, though this doesn't really matter). I figured this would explain both the fact that they would be more powerful (in that you can cast magic without running out of magic points or rune spells), and different. This also meant we didn't have to worry quite so much about what Scan 90% converted to -- they simply created whatever new HQ skill was appropriate (Keen-eyed, Observant, or whatever) and assigned it an ability level.

(For various reasons, the campaign didn't get real far, so I can't tell you how successful this approach was. I do know from experience that conversions seldom give the same feel, however.)

--

David Dunham