improv mods and augments

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:47:35 -0400

I'm a little confused concerning improv modifiers and augmentations. Do you apply improv modifiers to an ability being used to augment?

 For instance, the PC is trying to convince a Lunar policeman that what he's doing really isn't against the law. He's got *Convince Anyone* at 5W and "Dara Happan Law" at 17. I say Dara Happan law isn't quite the same as Lunar Law, so dock him a -5 improve penalty, which means his augment is only +1. Does that make sense?

 Or in a fight, our brave hero picks up a club-like stick to protect himself against a sword and shield wielding opponent. The PC has Sword and Shield fighting 5W and Agile 19. So what does he use to resist? Sword and Shielf with a -10 improv because he's got no shield or sword, augmented by his Agile? Or Agile, augmented with his Sword and Shield fighting (because it will let him know the attack style of his opponent, who is also using sword and shield?) Should Agile get an improv modifier in a sword fight?

I'm currently thinking that in an extended contest, I'd have no problems with him using Agile at full, augmented by sword and shield (with improv modifier) to resist the opponent's attack, but I'm not convinced he gets to use it actively on his round. (I'm assuming his goal is to hurt his opponent here, not get past or escape from him.) But I'm far more unsure of myself in the Simple Contest scenario.

Any thoughts?

LC