Re: Equipment Mod Oddity

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:41:05 -0000

<snip excellent examples>

I've mulled over the same thing. I wondered if it made more sense to usually ignore armor and weapons and only give modifiers when there is a mis-match. At first I was pretty excited by the idea, as it would clear out some calculation (which really slows some people up), but then I saw a couple of reasons to maybe keep it the way that it is:

  1. As the examples show, it isn't always armor and weapons and how they balance. A better tool should make life easier. You can do first aid by ripping strips off your tunic and using branches for splints, but proper tools and equipment will help.
  2. Using relative values, you have to compare each pair of contestants for equipment all of the time. I think this actually ends up be more intrusive than just having tha values added in, and trying to remember that occasionally they don't apply.

I agree that it is esthetically displeasing that you can never* use the skill at its rated value, however.

--Bryan