RE: Re: Equipment Mod Oddity

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 21:36:44 +0100

And it's surprising how much difference it can all make. Taking a hypothetical starting PC who's a Humakti warrior, he might have:

Sword and Shield Fighting 7W
Sword (+3)
Chainmail (+3)
Shield (+1)
Augment from Death affinity 17 (+2)
TOTAL: 16W He's already on 16W, with only a single augment. Never mind getting some extra bonuses if he has exceptional equipment. Equipment and preparation really does make a big difference in HeroQuest.

> I agree that it is esthetically displeasing that you can never* use
> the skill at its rated value, however.
>
> * never is not quite the case. You may occasionally have very poor
> equipment that negates penalties but doesn't supply a bonus, like a
> wooken practice sword and a light wicker practice shield for sword
> and shield--they let you use the skill perfectly well, they just
> don't add any useful value.

In practice, though, we do tend to ignore equipment as often as not. When I'm GM'ing, I tend to apply bonuses when the character has relevant equipment noted in their sheet or keyword (a healer's medicine bag, for example) or as a named item, or if the character has had some time to prepare.
For an impromptu speech before a few clan members, I wouldn't go hunting for bonuses to apply if the character happens to be wearing clothes, or combed their hair this morning.

Regards,

Bruce