Re: Augments

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 18:31:33 -0700

Rob

> >IMO one is too low. (We don't discuss the reasons for the augments -
>>-this seldom seems necessary.)
>
>I meant you get you equipment, magic and 1 other. so,
>Sword +3
>Shield +1
>Armour +3
>Hate Lunars +2
>and if you make your casting roll, flickering blade +2

Well, 2 augments are better than 1, but still seems too low to me.

And even one magical augment is too few. What if I'm a Humakti with both Truesword Stroke and Fight Undead -- why should I have to choose when I'm fighting a zombie? I should be *more* effective because I have specialized magic, not the same as everyone else. It seems to me that if you limit people to one augment, you might as well not bother, since everyone will have a +2.

Also, you're ignoring magical equipment. In a fight, my character uses

Head-Sparer +1 (shield)
Red-Painter +2 (spear)
Upper Star Dragon +2 (enigmatic jewelry)

and if she's riding on her horse Sassy, she should surely get to augment with one of his abilities (like Sure Footed).

I do think there's a point at which large numbers of augments can slow things down, but I'm not sure where one could draw the line.

>PS: David - have you any comment to make on mainly using the simple
>contest and saving the extended for the climax of the story, or at
>least the major scenes?

This is usually what we do.

Thinking of it as movie scenes can help. If climbing the mountain isn't the point, then you just show a few shots of the hero climbing -- simple contest, and you're at the cave at the top (or have to figure out another approach). But if you're scaling Mount Neverclimbed, then there will be sheer cliffs, crevasses, loose scree, etc. -- extended contest.

Or, think about whether you can describe the contest. I was able to come up with stuff to say about climbing the mountain. But if you just need to climb over the wall of the fortress, I can't think of much to say about the process. This suggests that the wall is a simple contest.

--

David Dunham