Re: Digest Number 1526

From: Kmnellist_at_...
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:41:41 EDT

In a message dated 15/05/04 12:16:58 GMT Daylight Time, HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

I do think there's a point at which large numbers of augments can slow things down, but I'm not sure where one could draw the line.

My way around this, which I've posted before, is to only allow one ability to give a bonus, but for multiple attempts to be made to roll for this. The best rolled augment is then used. This allows for a number of tactics from the players (a low, safe bonus from a good ability, a high risk roll for a high ability to be recovered by a later less good ability) and some laughs as players "search thorugh their ability list" to find an ability to use after they have fumbled ther fourth attempt at a +4. The advantage of magic is that if it fails it only gives a negative bonus to that particular feat. I allow a best "bonus" a best "offensive edge" and a best "defensive edge". I still use edges for armour and equipment, being an extremely rare HW grognard (and also because of various other house rules.)
Keith