RE: improv mods and augments

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:08:51 -0400

Hey Mike.

On 17 May 2004 at 12:49, Mike Holmes wrote:

> #1 only applies to using something as a main ability, IMO. That is, all
> abilities are "narrow" for use as primary abilities without modifier, but
> can be used broadly with modifier.

Yeah, I think that's how I see it as well.

> Basically, why take dancing, and close combat, if you can take Agility and
> have it function as both of these? If it funcitons like a very poor
> version of both of these, that's fine, there's still a reason to have the
> other abilities.
>
> For augments, I think it's the same criteria exactly, applied to the
> correct phrasing, that of "helping". Which is probably quite a bit
> broader, sure. If, you can see how Agiliity helps out, then no mod to it
> for augmenting. If it's a stretch, but there might be some effect, that's
> when you'd modify it. Pretty straightforward - is the ability useful for
> what it's being used for?

 I think we're on the same wavelength on this. For instance, I'd let Graceful and Agile both augment Dancing. I'd also let either be used as a replacement for Dancing but with improv modifiers (and Agile would get a worse modifier than Graceful in most forms of dance).