RE: Re: Extended Contests

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:29:27 -0500

>From: "Light Castle" <light_castle_at_...>
>
>Was that throughout one session or more, this mystery thing? And was it
>done by taking
>the whole scene, and then figuring out what kind of bid it was at the end?

That was two or maybe three sessions. Josh would say, "What is Waryt doing, Ryan?" In one case Ryan responded that he was trying to convince the ghost of the dead girl (who, it turned out, had killed herself to protect Waryt's secret), to come to my character Bevik and tell him that another NPC had killed her...or something like that. This was an unrelated action to get her to comply. Then, on Ryan's necxt "turn", we played out her coming to Bevik and telling him the lie. Ryan stated this was a pretty big bid, and we all agreed. I lost the roll - my character really didn't have much to resist lies with - and lost almost all of my AP. In fact, IIRC, he only got a marginal victory, and would have put me out with anything better - I would have narrated Bevik accusing the wrong man.

As it turned out, I then was able to do an "unrelatted action" that was a quick quest into the Spirit World with the help of a Shaman friend of Bevik's, and I bound a spirit of truth into a fetish. On my next action I went for broke doing the classic "gather the suspects" scene ala Hercule Poirot, and I unleashed the spirit to get the big bonus, and got a major victory which I bumped to complete (and Ryan didn't bump back because it was more fun that way). Ryan's fumble was narrated as him responding to one of my suppositions with, "But he couldn't have planted that there because I was in the room... oops." Basically I "Perry Masoned" him.

Does that help? The overall conflict directed both of our characters actions for most every scene for more than one complete session. Very neat.

Mike

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar � get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/