RE: Re: Equipment Mod Oddity

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 13:44:48 -0500

>From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
>
> >And another to
> >represent armor? And another to represent a shield? I mean, if a warrior
>can
> >automatically recieve +7 to his main abilities, why not a merchant?
> >
> >Can you see the slippery slope?
>
>Not really, since warriors have to fight other warriors who also get
>+7. I'm perfectly happy ignoring average equipment, but it still
>evens out in the rules (just like it did in Hero Wars, when using the
>modifiers was more complicated).
>
>(In our games, it's not at all certain that warriors get a +7 from
>equipment in any case...)

Nor in mine is this certain, but that's exactly my point. Since there are no mechanical guidelines, equipment becomes whatever the player can wheedle out of you. Sure they don't have breastplates here in Schlomonia, but in neighboring Anvilania they make em cheap, so couldn't the character have gotten over there at some point? Yadda, yadda. The point is that with my version, I can just say, "uh, sure, if you spend a hero point on it. Otherwise you just have typical stuff." And I can more reasonably make it a contest to make the stuff available. So, no more wheedling, instead players will be figuring out how to get better equipment.

To be clear, in the game I'm running, I give away magic items like candy. I want people to be accumulating really cool stuff. I just don't want that cool stuff that they're paying for to be overshadowed by the free stuff that others have gotten.

Mike

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar � get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/