Re: Below 0AP in extended contest

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:16:26 -0700

> Anyway - the problem is that in a large exgtended contest some of
> the NPCs were brought to 0AP, or just below. One of the characters
> wanted to finish them off - or drop them further down but wasn't the
> same character that had brought the NPC to below 0, nor was it
> immediately after the action that brought him below 0.

> I assumed in game that the characters below zero were passive, able
> to defend themselves but not to take any offensive actions. I
> wasn't able to find anything in the rulebook that would support that.

The rules for Parting Shot are on page 69, for Final Action (was anyone watching these guys?) on page 74. Remember that a hero (or villain) can attempt a final action to get back into the battle (or to sneak away, or Press The Button, or whatever) if they aren't being watched.

If you want to kill (or cripple, or whatever) the downed guy, then *by the rules* you have to use the Parting shot rule (that requires you to do it asap), or wait until the entire battle is over.

You might allow players to do Parting Shots in the middle of combat after a couple of rounds have gone by; it's not in the rules, but what the heck. But it's risky - not only do they have the ability to bring back a defeated foe with bad rolling (I've seen it done!), but I'd probably give the rest of the opponents a Relationship/Honor/Hate Dishonor augment when they see their buddies slain/crippled out of hand. Done in hot blood (immediately after knocking him down to 0) is one thing, but cold-bloodedly doing it later is another, to most people!

RR
- Richelieu