Re: Below 0AP in extended contest

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 09:02:43 -0700

I might allow you to kill them with a simple declaration after the contest is over (See my "Why won't you die? in Pyramid http://www.sjgames.com/pyramid/login/article.cgi?4619 for the whole "how do I kill someone" question) but in-contest I'd make you roll against *something* - there are too many chances for something to go wrong with even a simple spear thrust to the heart. And remember - if the heroes can do it to their opponents, their opponents can do it to them, and will, if they get a reputation for wanton slaughter.

> > You might allow players to do Parting Shots in the middle of
> > combat after a couple of rounds have gone by; it's not in the rules, but
> what
> > the heck. But it's risky - not only do they have the ability to bring
back
> > defeated foe with bad rolling (I've seen it done!),
>
> I think I'm inclined to allow it. While the mass melee is going on there
> are 0AP opponents sitting, lying and possibly wandering about. I'm not
sure
> why it would be necessary to make the parting blow immediately.

Because killing in hot blood is easier than killing in cold blood. Also, in a extended contest of only two people, this is the last thing that will happen - If you don't do it immediately, the contest is over (what you do to the defeated guy once the contest is over is a whole different question.

> > but I'd probably give the rest of the
> > opponents a Relationship/Honor/Hate Dishonor augment when they see their
> > buddies slain/crippled out of hand. Done in hot blood (immediately after
> > knocking him down to 0) is one thing, but cold-bloodedly doing it later
is
> > another, to most people!
>
> Cool - Possibly augment the others depending on the augments used by the
> killing character as well - if the killer gets +4 Hate Lunars then the
other
> Lunars probably get +4 Revenge bonuses to attack that person...seems fair
> enough!

Yep. As noted on page 75, there are many reasons not to just kill your opponent. Though Orlanthi vrs Chaos doesn't fall into any of those categories.

RR
- Richelieu