Re: Re: Magic items (was Transforming abilities)

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 22:56:00 -0400

Obviously this is going to start coming down to differing philosophies of how magic works and/or is effective, of course. It seems, though, that if magic is really only better for doing specific intended purpose things that cannot be done normally, that a lot of magic seems purposeless. If all magic was written in such a way that it worked like that (Magic is specifically targeted to doing that which is impossible otherwise and against non-resisting things) this would work fine. Magic would be much clearer. But it doesn't seem to be written that way at all. (Admittedly, I have but the main book and now a copy of Masters of Luck and Death, perhaps this impression will go away with more Gloranthan things to look at.) If this really is the way Gloranthan magic works, I'd make sure to try in my campaign to make and interpret magic be primarily about affecting yourself or the outside world (not people) in very specific narrow ways. (i.e. magic not being about attacking someone, only about giving you a better way to attack them for example)

Look, you know vastly more than I do about the way it is supposed to work, and therefore I will assume you are right, but that's not at all clear from the rules that that is an element of the "tone" of Gloranthan magic.

(Just one more thing to stick in the toolbelt for future reference. *grin*)

LC