Re: Re: Magic items (was Transforming abilities)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 09:52:23 -0700

> All of which I agree with. What I'm saying is that with this understanding
of how
> Gloranthan magic is supposed to work, combined with reminding myself that
the system
> is set up about conflict resolution, not task resolution, the whole "14"
problem resolves
> itself because it almost never is what you are rolling against. In a way,
the 14 represents
> the world's general resistance to the magic happening. Which means most of
the time, it
> is ignored, because usually what is of interest to the conflict is not
whether the magic
> happens, but what you then use the magic for. It's going to be a very rare
day that you
> use that 14 for anything because it is very rare that the conflict is just
a task of whether
> or not the magic goes off successfully.

I think I see where you're coming from - yes, getting that 14 resistance means that you aren't doing anything but that "narrowly defined, unresisted act", and most contests aren't about that. There are enough, though that occasionally the magic *will* work as advertised, with a resistance 14.

RR
- Richelieu